Arthritis is the most common joint disease. It may occur in any place: from heels to shoulders. The disease represented as inflammation process which occurs in bones unions. Heel arthritis influences subtalar and talocalcaneonavicular joints, the function of which is to join toe phalanx and heel.
Heel arthritis has some stages, which have typical symptoms and methods of treatment.
This stage has no evident symptoms, since patient feels no pain and no deformation occurs on heel. Identification of arthritis at this stage is possible only by X-ray diagnosis. Only high skilled physician can notice bone thinning in foot area.
Heel arthritis occurs with new symptoms: patient suffers from pain; bone of foot area becomes even thinner. Evidence symptoms of arthritis are redness and swelling, heel bone gets bigger. X-ray diagnostics clearly confirms heel arthritis and deformation process. At this stage treatment is difficult, but it may reduce disease development.
Heel arthritis has evident symptoms at the third stage which are: discernible heel deformation, difficult to move around and pain. In this case heel reddens and swells more. X-ray shows strong foot deformation. At this stage treatment is directed to pain relief and prevention of disease development.
The last stage is characterized by patient’s inability to walk without help. Growing pain and heel swelling, deformation becomes even more noticeable, heel bone fusion is possible. Treatment provides pain reducing swelling reducing. Walking is impossible in most cases at this stage of disease.
Heel arthritis might not occur by itself. It occurred by factors:
- Genetic joint deformation, that causes disease of tissues and bones;
- Alternative sources of inflammation;
- Other heel joint disease – coxarthrosis, traumatizing;
- Slow metabolism which leads to calcification;
- Bad habits;
- Lack of products which contain vitamins;
- Sports activity where most amount of load is concentrated on heels;
- Obesity, since overweight presses foot and causes joint deformation;
- Sudden stress situation or long distress;
- Longtime walking on high heels.
However, it is impossible to treat arthritis at late stages; treatment may reduce some symptom effects, prevent disease development, and improve heel deformation. In some cases treatment may allow to walk without help anew. Preferably to provide a combined treatment of medication, physiotherapy and diet.
Medication treatment consists of drug taking which remove inflammation and reduce pain. Additionally to medication, patients who suffer from heel arthritis recommended to take vitamins, minerals and other microelements. Evident disease symptoms removed better by ointments that have pain-relieving function. In special cases, when inflammation is too strong, physician may administer antibiotics.
- Massage therapy, should be done by specialist in order to not to do more damage to patient (massage improves blood circulation, minerals and microelements consuming);
- Gymnastics, which provides blood circulation improvement in heel joint area;
- Electrophoresis used is case of patient’s adaptation, because this method is based on electricity current for exact medication;
- Laser, shock-wave, magnetic resonance procedures;
- Therapeutic mud which includes clay or mud bathes for legs.
Heel arthritis may also be treated at home by folk medicine:
Its effect is based on bath taking for legs in cold and hot water, for 5 minutes in each temperature up to 3 sets.
Take vinegar 100ml, soft butter 100g and 1 egg with eggshell. Mix all the ingredients and infuse in cold place for 20 days. Mixture covered into affected area for 3 times a day after a leg bath.
Take 5 tablets of analgin and iodine 5ml for every 100ml of alcohol. Infuse for 2 weeks in dark place, rub heel for 5 times per day after infusion ready.
Such ointment requires 100ml of olive oil for 100g of propolis and heat up for 30 minutes. When propolis is melt, ointment needed to cool down. Rub affected heel with this ointment till it got dry for 3 times a day. Leave ointment for night at leg and cover with warm cloth, if possible.